Oman Vision 2040 is the national reference for economic and social planning for the period of 2021-2040, and the source of national sector strategies and five-year development plans. It was put in place under the wise guidance of His Majesty the late Sultan Qaboos Bin Said, and carried forward by His Majesty Haitham Bin Tarik.
After being developed with extensive participation by the community, Oman Vision 2040 was approved by His Majesty Sultan Haitham Bin Tarik in 2020, then it was put into action as of early January 2021 and will remain in force till 2040.
Deeply rooted and forward-looking, Oman Vision 2040 builds on the achievements realized in many fields over the past decades. It represents an integrated set of socio-economic policies that should be implemented as guidelines to reach the image desired for Oman by 2040.
Precursor to reliable infrastructure, modern legislative framework and well-defined relations between economic actors, the economic achievements so far accomplished are the product of Omanis’ work, interaction and awareness of local, regional and global dynamics. Today, the maturity and sophistication levels reached by Oman pave the way for a new beginning where challenges, society needs and ambitions are addressed with more confidence.
Today, as we look forward to the future of Oman, building on our past achievements, we recognize that our economy and society must no longer rely on [non-renewable] resources but on innovation and knowledge, by investing in opportunities triggered by regional and international dynamics, and based on the following:
- The wise guidance of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said –May his soul rest in eternal peace–, domestically and vis-à-vis foreign relations;
- Omanis’ readiness in terms of identity, educational level and qualifications, and awareness of the necessity of the desired transformation;
- Investments made in infrastructure and logistics;
- The unique geographic location, climate conditions and natural resources available;
- The global network of balanced, reliable and open international relations;
- The legislative framework and foundations of good governance, currently under development;
- The clear aspirations, aligned policies and societal consensus regarding the way forward;
- The promising national talents in all areas.